Wednesday, June 23, 2010

6 months old (and 12 days, if you want to be precise)

 This post is a little late, but life got in the way of blogging...shame.  Or is it?  I think...not.

In any case, my sweet little baby girl had her half birthday two weeks ago.  I can't believe that half of a year has gone by!  It's been an amazing ride so far, and I look forward to celebrating many many more!



Over the last month, Annabelle has really started to learn the world around her, as well as a few new skills.  She has learned to roll over both ways (although she really is quite lazy and won't do it unless she absolutely has to in order to reach that little toy that's just out of her grasp), sit up quite well, put anything (literally anything) in her mouth as soon as she picks it up (this includes trying to fit a ball that is about 7 inches in diameter into her mouth), she has hung out in the pool outside, and tried a few new foods.  She's also "talking" a lot more frequently, and is sleeping through the night again - at least a few nights of the week.  On the nights that she wakes up, all it takes is a little paci intervention and she's back down again.  She has also developed a strong preference for her solids over her bottle at daycare.  It's funny - in the evenings and on the weekends she doesn't want her solids and just wants to nurse.  I guess we can see where her priorities lie!  She is also still exclusively on breastmilk except for her solids.  She prefers pears over just about anything...except maybe carrots or peas.  She really isn't a huge fan of peaches.  The jury is still out on yogurt. 

Since we're on the subject of food, I decided to let her try mixed grain cereal the Sunday before last.  She's now a "sitter" so she moves up in the food chain and gets to eat the "sitters" foods, instead of just the "supported sitters" varieties.  So, back to the mixed grain cereal...so, I fed her the same amount that I normally give her of oatmeal.  She ate it fine, no issues at all.  In fact, not sure she even noticed a difference.  We went about our normal evening routines, Andy gave her a bath, no problems.  I nursed her before bed and let's just say that from the time she finished nursing (which wasn't a small amount, mind you) and about an hour later, her stomach was completely empty, I had showered, Andy had showered, Annabelle went through 5-6 sets of pjs and took three baths.  Not a good sign.  So, stomach flu, upset stomach over something else or potential wheat allergy.  Not sure, but regardless, not fun. 

Monday, I took little A to the doc for her 6 month appointment.  I asked the doctor about the wheat dealio and she said, well, hold off on wheat until she's a year old.  Then we'll test her.  The positives, she's eating oatmeal which has gluten in it (great sign that it probably isn't gluten intolerance - seriously jump for joy), and since I'm nursing she is getting exposure to wheat so that's also good.  Most likely even if it was the wheat there's a really good chance she'll grow out of it.  Yes!

So, the rest of the appointment went ok.  She's about 18 1/2 pounds (90%).  I can't remember her length off the top of my head, but it's in the 85%.  Both are great since they are holding steady and not fluctuating in the percentile much.  Developmentally she is right where she should be - rolling over, sitting, etc.  She should start to "talk" even more in the next few months and she should start to add consonants more.  Another thing I asked the doctor about (whom I love, by the way) was Annabelle's flat head.  The doctor took a look and things everything is fine and will all straighten itself out by itself now that she's sitting and not laying on it so much, but if it were her, she'd take her for a second opinion from a pediatric ortho specialist.  Let's hope it all works out so that she doesn't have to have a helmet.  I personally think it's already starting to look better and has really improved over the last few weeks.  The issue, she sleeps flat on the back facing straight up.  She also is not a huge fan of tummy time, so you can only force a child to stay on their stomach screaming for so long...oh well.

Father's day was also this past weekend.  Annabelle had a really great time celebrating her daddy's first father's day.  We took him out for breakfast and then she hung out with him a bit and had fun playing.  Dad spent the day working in the office for stuff for work and then doing yardwork - yuck...not my idea of a fun way to spend Father's day, but what are you going to do?  Annabelle's grandpa (my dad) also came over for dinner along with Aunt Bethany & Uncle Dave.  I made lasagna and we all had a really great time.  I think my dad had fun playing with Annabelle - especially now that she's really interacting!  The only downside, I completely forgot to bust out my camera and take pictures...darn!



I think that's about it for now.  Let's hope things start to calm down a bit so I can stay more up to date on here.  Two weeks of updates in one posting is a little overwhelming!

1 comment: